In the video game industry, you will find not only a wide range of types, but a wide range of genres. It’s important that you know the differences between genres. In this way, you will be able to make a decision without difficulty. You will avoid buying games that are not proper for your children’s age, or that they simply don’t like. Below we provide a detailed description of each genre that the video game market offers.
- Role-playing games are games in which the participants assume a specific role as they establish a relationship with the environment and other characters. Some examples are Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, The Legend of Zelda, The Elder Scrolls, Chrono Trigger, The Legend of Mana, and Suikoden.
- The sport genre defines video games based on sports (real or made-up). For this reason, there is a division between arcade and simulation games such as Fifa series, NBA Live, NFL Street, Pro Evolution Soccer, PC Fútbol, and Tony Hawks.
- The racing genre is formed by games in which the player drives different vehicles as he participates in races. There are different varieties: arcade, such as Crash Team Racing, and simulation, such as Gran Turismo.
- Shooting genre is the game genre which consists of a character who goes through different situations with a gun that uses to protect himself. According to its development, there are first-person games, such as Doom; Quake; Hexen; TimeSplitters; and Counter Strike, and shoot-them-up games such as Galaxian; 1942; R-Type; Thunderforce; and Super Thunderblade, and gun video games, such as House of Dead and Virtua Cop.
- Games in the adventure genre are games in which there’s a main character who meets other characters throughout the game. There are some games in which action predominates. Such games are Maniac, Mansion, Broken Sword, and Monkey Island. There are also graphical adventure games, such as La abadía del crimen , Little Big Adventures (LBA), Resident Evil, and Silent Hill. There are some adventure games that have some terror elements, such as Alone in the Dark. And there are also other dialogued adventure video games, such as Chichen Itzá, and La aventura especial. A few years ago the adventure genre used to include a number of subgenres which later developed into separate genres.
- The strategy genre focus on the management of a group of characters or objects to accomplish objectives previously set. Some examples of games of this genre are Stratego, Dune 2, Starcraft, Age of Empires, Civilization, Empire Earth, Advance Wars, Europa Universalis, Sim City, Zoo Tycoon, and Worms.
- Platformers is a genre that consists of games in which the main character moves forwards through a space with platforms of different height, which present different difficulty levels. This is the case of games such as Sonic the Hedgehog, Super Mario Bros, Alex Kidd, Megaman, Crash Bandicoot and Jak and Daxter.
- Action genre video games are a combination of shooter, simulator and racing games. They generally involve combat, and have as an objective to gather flags or to capture characters or opponents. Tanks, ships, planes and cars are common elements found in these games. Some examples of action games are Ghosts’n Goblins, Metal Slug, Battlefield 1942, MDK, Battlefield Vietnam, Operation Flashpoint, Golden Eye and Devil May Cry.
- The puzzle genre is a genre that consists of games that involve reflexes and intelligence. There is a great number of sub-varieties, among which we find Tetris, Columns, Bubble Bobble, Lemmings, Snow Bros.
- Games from the music genre range from karaoke games, such as Singstar Party, to games in which the player dances, such as Pump It Up, Electroplankton, Rhythm Tengoku, Sound Voyager and Space Channel.
- The fighting genre focuses on the physical combat between characters. This genre can be divided into one-on-one fighting games and beat ‘em up games. Some examples of this genre are Tekken, Street Fighter, Fatal Fury, King of Fighters, Killer Instinct, Soul Calibur, Final Fight, Bouncer and Street of Rage.
The simulation genre is based on the realistic reproduction of certain activities, such as flying an aircraft, driving and combat. Some examples are Ace Combat, Silent Hunter, IL2 Sturmovik, Microsoft Flight Simulator, and Ship Simulator.
- Educational games are games whose objective is to teach something to players, no matter if they are young or adults. There is a great variety available which ranges from math games to quiz-type games about general culture.
Check our friends' websites